Tuesday, April 27, 2010

If my dog has a minor case of mange can i give it a bath with baby shampoo just for the night?

yes, but try to use one that addresses dry, itchy skin. I would use one with oatmeal, but check the dog shampoo labels to make your long term decisions.If my dog has a minor case of mange can i give it a bath with baby shampoo just for the night?
My puppy had mange. You MUST take him to the vet before it gets worse. He needs special pesticide baths the vet will prescribe to kill the mites. Trust me, my puppy was born with it and we didn't know and she got really sick, she was covered in sores and they were full off pus. I thought she was going to die. We had to bath her weekly and keep a cone on her head so she wouldn't scratch her face or neck. She even had to go to the emergency vet to get fluids after the pesticide made her sick and she kept throwing up.If my dog has a minor case of mange can i give it a bath with baby shampoo just for the night?
No this will just irritate the skin even more. You need to take it to the vet before all of its hair falls out.
The baby shampoo won't kill the mange mites, if that's what you are asking. You need special topical ointments and shampoos to kill off the mites.


Instead of giving it a bath, rub olive oil into the areas affected by mange until you can get your dog proper treatment. The olive oil sticks to the mites and prevents them from breathing. It also soothes irritated skin.
Mange is skin mites, I don't think shampoo will get rid of them. Can you phone a vet and ask what's appropriate to use on mange? Even calling an animal emergency hospital is ok, they'll ask a vet and get back to you while you wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment