Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Can I wash my golden retriever's in baby shampoo?

Hey! I have two golden retrievers and they have sensitive skin... Since I can not use normal human shampoo and I don't want to buy dog shampoo for sensitive skin. Can I use Johnson's Baby Shampoo on my golden retriever? Please help!Can I wash my golden retriever's in baby shampoo?
Dogs have different PH than humans. using Baby shampoo is not really good for them. A nice oatmeal shampoo is not that expensive at Petco or PetSmartCan I wash my golden retriever's in baby shampoo?
Yes, you can. Just don't wash them any more than is necessary. Over-bathing can cause skin problems for dogs. If the sensitivity is due to oily skin, under-bathing can cause irritation. Diet can also.


I have a golden/anatolian mix and she had extremely sensitive skin. I have found the right diet for her (no corn, wheat or artificial dyes in her food) and I bathe her when she needs it, for her that is usually about every three weeks to a month. She gets brushed regularly.


I have used Johnson's Baby Shampoo on her. Her skin looks great now. She also gets things added to her food, like fish oil caps in a vet approved amount, but the caps are made for humans, controlled so they don't have mercury in them.


She stays on flea prevention products and heartworm medication. All these things together seem to keep her skin and coat in great condition.


Although baby shampoo won't harm a dog, a human conditioner can irritate their skin.


I used to be a dog and cat groomer.


I love dog products that are designed for use on dogs.


It's nice that there are products on the market that are designed for different coat types and for skin conditions, but this does not mean dogs suffer from bathing with baby shampoo for humans. How do you think dogs were bathed years ago? Even humans used to use egg yolks and things like that to wash their hair.


If your dog continues to have skin problems, you might need to get a prescription shampoo from a Vet. There are some conditions that need specialized shampoos in order for them to clear up. Dogs can get fungal and bacterial infections that cause skin problems.
its not the best idea, but,dilute the baby shampoo with water and wash your dogs.


make sure, use a conditioner,as dogs that have sensitive skin,will be itchy if the skin gets dry.


i see a lot of show-people buy a deep conditioner called Kolestral:its sold for people,at beauty supply stores(i cant find it any more at the pharmacy or supermarket)


Yes, its good for long coated dogs like Golden's,Collies, Sheltie's.


leave it on for 5-6 minutes then rinse it out well!
In a pinch you could, but you can buy a decent dog oatmeal shampoo (sensitive flaky skin) for about $5.


Edit: I should add that I wouldn't use the baby shampoo on a regular basis, but if your dog just came in covered in mud then a single use wouldn't harm the dog. However their skin is different which is why they have special products.
Dogs have a protective oil on their skin and coat (ever noticed how the water sort of beads up when they go out in the rain?).





Using a human shampoo strips these protective oils and can really dry out dog skin/hair even if it's ';baby'; shampoo.





It certainly won't cause permanent damage to your dogs but it could make them uncomfortable - dry %26amp; itchy.
How often do you bath your dogs? Whenever I see this question, I always say once a week, and then get a million thumbs down. I pulled this from a miniature schnauzer website:





';Bathing: The old wives tale says that you should not bath your dog too often because you can dry out their coat and skin...OK, perhaps 50 years ago when you were feeding your hunting dog scraps and washing them with home made lye soap, this may have been true. However, with the enormous strides taken in canine nutrition and animal husbandry, nothing could be further from the truth. Excellant quality canine shampoos, free of dyes and pesticides are readilly available from your Veterinarian or pet supply store, used properly and in conjunction with a proper diet, your dogs skin and coat will be healthy and shiny.';





Source: http://www.sterlingdogs.com/grooming_and鈥?/a>








I bathe my show dog with a human shampoo, and so does my mentor. Give it up people! Go ahead and use your baby shampoo.
Dogs have a different pH to their skin than humans do, you should use a shampoo designed for dogs, not a human shampoo, which will only make any skin irritation worse. An oatmeal shampoo for dogs or similar is not that expensive, really.
I have often used Johnson's baby shampoo on dogs. It seems better than dog shampoo.


Some people say it's not suitable for dogs.


My rule of thumb is: try it and see. If it works well for your dog, then it's fine.
yes you can nothing is going to happen
  • skin cream
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment