Saturday, December 19, 2009

Would it be okay to use baby shampoo to bathe my rats?

Right now my rat Remy is sitting on my should as i'm typing this and boy does it tickle! this is their first since i got them (Remy on Thursday) and Rojo today and they need baths. The person who helped me at Petco said thats how she bathed her rats.Would it be okay to use baby shampoo to bathe my rats?
i would consult a vet before using baby shampoo on them... however they do make ferret shampoos(witch i think would be fine) or rat shampoos that they should sell at Petco.





one more thing... i would be careful about over bathing them too... it really dries out the skin and can make them itchy.





enjoy your new pets!





p.s. they also like playing in the tub with just 2-3 inches of water in the bottom of it :)Would it be okay to use baby shampoo to bathe my rats?
Perfectly fine!


By the way, you will get used to the tickle. I did within a week, and it is so fun to put them on other people's shoulders and watch them squirm, unable to walk around because the ratty is tickling them!





I bathe my rats with baby shampoo. Hypo allergenic is best, and nothing smelling to strong. Cat shampoo can work too, but no anti-flea stuff. and don't get water in their eyes, and just fill an area with warm water (slightly warmer than you would think--rats have higher body temperatures) and let the water fill until it goes above your hand slightly if you lay it flat. Don't put them under running water or they will get scared even more. They are likely to scratch you trying to climb up your arm and hide on the back of your neck. They hate it, but dry them up good and give them treats and they will love you soon.





If you have any more rat questions, you can email me at lynxlover623@yahoo.com





I have learned lots about rats and I can help you in anyway possible, mostly.
Baby shampoo should be fine. You don't need a lot. Since they are new to you and their environment I would suggest not to bath right now. Give them a couple of weeks to get used to everything. Rats can become stressed quite easily and you have lots of time. Check site below that has good info and links on rats. Lots of good info. Learn all you can about your new pets.
I've used that in the past, but now I've switched to puppy shampoo. It smells better and lasts longer. Be careful though! My rats do not like bath time so either trim their nails beforehand or wear long sleeves as they will try to climb up your arms! :P


Good luck!
I think a tiny amount of baby shampoo or maybe something hypo allergenic would be good.
you DONT bath rats they clean themselves and can get wet tail and so on

No comments:

Post a Comment