Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Can I use baby shampoo on my Westie X Maltese?

Westies can suffer skin conditions and I was wondering whether anyone out there knew if baby shampoo was suitable?Can I use baby shampoo on my Westie X Maltese?
No, it isn't. Baby shampoo is for babies. Dog shampoo is for dogs. There is a reason for the two. Dogs will get very sensitive skin to people shampoo. Get a sensitive skin dog shampoo from your vet as most of the ones in the pet stores suck.Can I use baby shampoo on my Westie X Maltese?
That is all I can use on my one great dane's, She has suffered skin issues since she was a month old, The vets pumped everything known into her, I Once payed $ 35 for a 8oz bottle of medicated shampoo which made her skin problem worse! So after about a year and around $3,000 dollars later I decided to try some of my own Idea's , Baby shampoo was one of the first things to come to mind. We KNOW it is gentle enough to use on our children why not on our dogs? Sure enough it works great, she does not have any of the side affects she got from other shampoo's, Her skin condition has not gotten worse so I am glad I started using the baby shampoo %26amp; would never use anything the VET recommends ever again =-/
I would steer clear of any shampoo that is not made for hypoallergenic dogs. Both Westies and Malteses are prone to allergies with food and shampoo. Why risk a bad allergic reaction that might cost you big money at the vet? Just find a good priced dog shampoo at your local store. People even baby shampoo will dry out a average dogs coat and skin. You will end up with brittle hair and dandruff.
No, it will only irritate your dogs skin more. Feed your dog high quality food if you dog has skin issues. Most likely you are feeding a crap food. Also, get dog shampoo look for one that says sensitive skin (usually oatmeal).





Look into what you are feeding your dog, that will make a huge difference.
I wouldn't use human shampoo on a dog. There are some dog shampoos that are really gentle on the skin, and if your dog does have some problems try using puppy shampoo. They are more gentle than a dog shampoo. Check a pet store, they will have a good selection of shampoos for you to chose from.
i wouldnt b/c using chemicals used on humans shouldnt be used on animals. Even if it could be gentle enough, the dog could become very dry skinned or have an allergic reaction to the unfamiliar chemicals. i would talk to your veternarian first or go out and buy a doggy shampoo
You can use that but you are better off talking to your vet and obtaining a shampoo from them. If you dont want to spend the money on a shampoo from the vet try buying a shampoo that is made for sensitive skin with no perfumes in it. Good Luck!
It should be fine but a better one would be called NEEM a groomer would carry it and it works great for any type of skin condition. You can get a conditioner there to. Most groomers carry high quality and safe brands
I have a Westie and we use a good quality oatmeal dog shampoo, unscented. He's never had a problem. I'd avoid using baby shampoo, the ph level is different.
As a groomer, I would reccommend ';Allergroom';. It is sold at Vet clinics, and online. It costa a little more, but not near as much as aa Vet visit when the Westie skin problems flare up. Good luck.
I asked our vet about using baby shampoo %26amp; she said it's not really great. Dogs' skin have different pH levels than humans do. I would use a good quality dog shampoo vs. any people shampoo including baby shampoo.
Baby shampoo is the next best thing to dog shampoo,for your dog.I use it on mine when i run out of the dog shampoo.Perfectly safe,very gentle on skin and eyes.
No only use baby shampoo if your dog is white and you are cleaning around the eyes every day then baby shampoo, very little is ok





Use a dog shampoo,our shin is different from a dogs...
It should be gentle enough,b ut check for rashs after using it the first few times...just in case. I suggest you use shampoo with oatmeal in it, to reduse itching.
I use dog shampoo with oatmeal but if I run out then I will use baby shampoo. I also use baby wipes inbetween their baths.
You should never use a product designed for humans on your animal unless your vet gives the OK. Call and ask before you shampoo.
Question is, why would you want to? The same grocery store that you bought the baby shampoo from also carries dog shampoo.
Dog shampoo is formulated for dogs and would be best - a shampoo with oatmeal in it is always good.
The best thing to use is medicated shampoo when washing your dog.
yes thats fine. there are also oatmeal shampoos that are very mild too.
yes it should be fine

No comments:

Post a Comment