Saturday, December 19, 2009

What kind of baby shampoo can I used for dry scalp?

My daughter has dandruff in her scalp and currently I am using the Johnsons baby shampoo. What other shampoo can I used on her hair that is safe for babies and help with the dandruff and the flakes? and what store can I buy it at? ThanksWhat kind of baby shampoo can I used for dry scalp?
that shampoo is best... the suggestions my son's pediatrician gave us was this:





1) Rub baby oil into her scalp %26amp; let it sit. Gently scrape her scalp to remove the dry skin





If you are still having problems....





2) Use an old toothbrush and scrub an adult dandruff shampoo onto her scalp. Let that sit. Carefully wash it off (obviously adult dandruff shampoo isn't tearfree so be really careful)





This seemed to work pretty well for my son. Good luck. (You'll probably have to repeat one or both of these at least once weekly.What kind of baby shampoo can I used for dry scalp?
If it's cradle cap-- Selsun Blue.
Try Cetaphil (blue label). It was a recommedation of my children's pediatrian. You can use it with or without water and is great for the whole body, especially dry skin. It is found in about all stores. Walmart has a generic version of it too.
My daughter's pediatrician had me buy Head %26amp; Shoulders shampoo. It works really well. My daughter hasn't had a flake in a long while. You have to be careful not to get it into their eyes, but I normally put a little bit on one of the baby washcloths, and rub onto her head that way.





Added: My daughter is 10 weeks old, and has been using Head and Shoulders since she was 3 weeks old.
I tried different baby shampoos for my son, they either didn't work or only worked temporarily. The best tip I got (which worked) was to make sure I was rinsing his hair with clean water, not the soapy water in the tub, it was gone in a week. He's six now and I still make sure that his hair is rinsed in clean running water and it's never returned.
when my daughter was about 5 months old she had really bad eczema, to include dry skin on her scalp. a dermatologist told me to use a very small amount of adult dandruff shampoo on her head every once in a while, not every day and make sure you dont get it in her eyes. if your baby is younger than that i would ask a doctor first
In order to avoid overly drying out the little one's skin, you might want to keep her baths down to 2 or 3 a week. Also, research your baby care products as infant skin is extremely sensitive and needs to most gentle products out there. Many baby care products (including wash and lotions) contain ingredients such as fragrance and mineral oil, the molecular structure of which is too large to penetrate the pores of skin, sitting on the top layer like saran wrap. Mineral oil is actually motor oil washed several times to make it clear. These products may cause irritation and dryness and get wiped off over time and give little to no benefit but rather a temporary feeling of softness. Baby's need pure, and safe water based products with the proper ingredients.





Arbonne has a great baby care line (hair and body wash, lotion, body oil, diaper rash cream, and sunscreen) that is botanically-based and pH correct, pediatrician and dermatologist tested, non-sensitizing, non-irritating, and formulated without nut oils. They are formulated with natural ingredients like oat flour which is an emollient and an emulsifier. It鈥檚 highly absorbent and hypoallergenic. Oat flour helps to soothe and soften dry, itchy and sensitive skin. I use Arbonne's baby care products on both of my children and have never had a problem with dry, irritated skin.





If you're open to trying a free sample, I'll be happy to send you one.
When my baby was only a few months old, my doctor told me to use Head and Shoulders Dry Scalp. It worked wonders and he hasn't had a flake for over 6mo. I use it every night. Its not tear free so you need to be careful not to get it in the eyes. I also used the little plastic brush that we got from the hospital when he was born...it helps to gently scrub all the dry skin off. (I was using Johnson's and the Dr. said to stop and use the H%26amp;S) At the beginning I also put Aveno on his head after his bath.
my baby had what appeared to be dandruff but I treated it like cradle cap because everyone said it must be cradle cap. After the brushing and brushing and washing it has mostly gone away. I think dandruff and cradle cap might be two names for the same thing. So maybe try baby oil and a brush until you rub off the flakes, then wash with shampoo.
Cradle cap or dandruff? It's more likely to be cradle cap, if she's a newborn. Aveeno, Burt's Bees, Johnson's and Gerber make baby shampoo, and you can buy an infant scrub-brush and gently scrub her head in circular motions when bathing her. You didn't mention her age. If she's older, it may be caused by some of the shampoo remaining in her hair and drying-in which case L'Oreal Kids makes really good shampoo-just use a small amount of it. And- really no one should wash their hair daily.





Hope some of this helps.
Burt's Bees Apricot Baby Oil worked really well on my daughter's cradle cap. I put it on and rubbed it in a bit with my fingers after we'd given her a bath, then I combed out the flakes. It was gone within a few days.
don't wash her hair every day. is she an infant? is this cradle cap? you can put baby oil on her scalp and brush it through with one of those very soft baby brushes. If that's what it is, just let it run it's course.

No comments:

Post a Comment